Teachers Service Commission (TSC) has announced 20,000 job vacancies up for grab in the teaching sector. The TSC recruitment comes after the government’s call to fix the teachers’ shortage in education. This followed an allocation of enough funds to facilitate the process.
“The Teachers Service Commission invites applications from qualified candidates to fill 20, 000 teacher internship posts (18,000 in Junior Secondary Schools and 2,000 in Primary Schools) to support the implementation of Competency Based Curriculum. Interested and qualified candidates should submit their applications online through the Commission’s website, www.tsc.go.ke under “Careers” or teachersonline.tsc.go.ke not later than 18th July 2023.” Reads the advert.
According to the circular by TSC, application process is set to be free and fair. The employer has further explained that 18,000 teachers will be placed to teach in Junior Secondary Schools (JSS) while 2,000 teachers shall teach Kenya primary schools.
The posts announced by TSC will be employed on internship scheme where JSS teachers will take a monthly pay of Kshs. 20,000 while primary interns will be paid Kshs. 15,000.
MONTHLY STIPEND FOR TEACHER INTERNS
“This is not a remunerative engagement. However, teacher interns attached to Primary schools will be eligible for a monthly stipend of Kshs. 15,000/=, while those attached to Junior Secondary schools will be eligible for a monthly stipend of Kshs. 20,000/=. The stipend will be paid subject to statutory deductions, where applicable.” Says TSC.
To qualify for recruitment, a candidate should meet the following minimum requirements:
i) Be a Kenyan citizen;
ii) Must be a holder of a PI Certificate;
iii) Must be a registered teacher with the Teachers Service Commission.
To qualify for recruitment, a candidate should meet the following minimum
i) Be a Kenyan citizen;
ii) Must be a holder of at least a diploma in education with a minimum mean Grade of C+ (plus) and C+ (plus) in two teaching Subjects in KCSE or its equivalent.
iii) Must be a registered teacher with Teachers Service Commission.
The recruitment exercise is free of charge. The Teachers Service Commission forewarns applicants against fraudsters who might extort money from unsuspecting persons purporting to assist in recruitment.
- Manual applications will not be considered.
- The Commission’s Guidelines for Recruitment of Teacher Interns for 2023/2024 Financial Year shall apply.
- Be unemployed and has not previously been employed by the Commission as an intern or on permanent and pensionable terms;
- Candidates will be required to present original academic and professional certificates.
- Successful candidates will be required to have a Personal Accident Insurance to cover for personal risks during the internship period.
- Selection of Candidates will strictly be on merit and based on the number of vacancies per County.
- Successful candidates must not fill more than one offer of internship.
- Successful candidates will be posted to serve to any primary or junior secondary school in the county where they were interviewed or in any part of the Country where the vacancy exist.
- Successful candidates for Junior Secondary Schools shall be required to teach various learning areas under Junior Secondary Curriculum. Visit the Commission’s website (www.tsc.go.ke) for more information.
During verification applicants shall be required to produce the following: –
- A copy of Teacher Registration Certificate/print-out from TSC online portal as evidence of registration as a teacher;
- A copy of National Council for Persons with Disability (NCPWD) card (where applicable);
- A copy of the National Identity Card (ID) or Passport;
- Two (2) colour passport size photographs;
- A copy of National Health Insurance Fund (NHIF) card;
- A copy of Kenya Revenue Authority Personal Identification Number
What is TSC Internship?
The Teacher Internship Programme is a one (1) year programme meant to equip and sustain competencies of persons entering the teaching service. The programme targets unemployed registered teachers to be assigned to learning institutions where their teaching experience will be enhanced through mentorship, coaching and exposure to practical teaching experience. The Internship period will be for twelve (12) months.