Broadcast & Network News

Tributes as Mukami Kimathi dies at the age of 96 years

The Late Field Marshall Dedan Kimathi’s Wife Mukami Kimathi is dead. She passed at an age of 96 years old.

“We have received the saddening news of the death of Mukami Kimathi, a celebrated heroine of our nation’s struggle for independence.” Reads part of the Presidential Message to Mukami Kimathi’s death.

Her death has hit the nation, leaving every single person with praises to the departed soul of Mukami Kimathi.

She was the wife to the late freedom fighter Dedan Kimathi. Including those who send their condolences message to the family is President William Ruto. President William Ruto showered Mama Mukami Kimathi with praises crowning her as a courageous woman who withstood brutality of the colonial oppression.


“Mama Mukami Kimathi courageously withstood the brutality of colonial oppression, proudly wore the scars of the battle and bore the terrible losses of war with admirable fortitude.

She was a legendary fighter in her own right and the wife of the legend, Dedan Waciuri Kimathi, who was captured, tried, and executed by the colonial state.

After winning the war for independence, Mama Mukami was left behind to fend for her children in the absence of Field Marshall Kimathi. In her characteristic way, she also won this battle.

Mukami Kimathi was also a steadfast patriot and well-known champion for national unity who inspired many Kenyans of all ages to cherish our country and stand ready to defend our values.

On behalf of my family and the people of Kenya, I convey my condolences to the family of our departed heroine, Mukami Kimathi. I pray that the Almighty God grants you his divine solace at this time of sorrow.

We shall honour her memory and treasure her legacy. May God rest her soul in everlasting peace.” Reads president Ruto’s Message.

Official announcement of Mukami Kimathi’s Death

The family (daughter Nyawira Kimathi) said that she died last night in hospital, where she was rushed for medication after developing breathing problems on Thursday night.

“On arrival at the hospital, she was received by the doctors but after several tests, they informed us that she wouldn’t make it, she died a few minutes later and we took her body to Lee Funeral Home,” said Ms Nyawira.

Tambua Africa Reporter

Blogger and news writer at Tambua Africa News.

Related Articles

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Kindly Allow Ads to view this page.