Nandi Senator Samson Cherargei has issued key issues to the National Dialogue Committee. Among the seven points, one that has spark discussions is the increase of the presidential term limit to 7 years contrary to the current 5 years term.
The submission was made to the National Dialogue Committee that is chaired by Wiper Party Leader Kalonzo Musyoka and Kikiyu Member of Parliament Kimani Ichung’wah.
From his argument inline with the ruling party affiliates, an elected leader need enough time to run the government and implementing the election manifesto.
According to Senator Cherargei’s proposal, any person elected as president to be accorded 7 years constitutionally with any other possible second term if he or she wins.
Other points memorandum submitted to the National Dialogue Committee NADCO by Nandi senator Samson Cherargei are:
1. The re-introduction of the office of the prime minister.
2. The creation of the office of the official opposition leader.
3. Parties to give 30% to the youth, women, and PWDs during nominations in the general elections.
4. The senate to be given veto powers on the bills in Parliament.
5. The extension of the presidential term of 7 years of each term for two terms from the current 5 years to allow stability and pragmatic development in the country.
6. The increment to 40% allocation to counties in national revenue.